Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Newsletters

For many years I really didn't care for classroom newsletters because I felt that kids needed to be responsible for relaying the information to parents.  Well, my thoughts on class newsletters have changed after being a mom.  If information is sent home to have the kids communicate, it's not 100% accurate, I have found.  My daughter has had teachers with classroom newsletters and some who have not used newsletters as a communication tool.  Now that my daughter is in the upper grades and likes to see what she can get away with not doing, I really miss classroom newsletters.  They simply help me, as a mom, know what to expect my daughter to complete by the end of the week.  So, over the years my ideologies have changed as I have learned it is better to spell things out rather than assume.

The second grade team at our school collaborates and then compiles a digital newsletter.  This takes a lot of cooperation as team members, but I think it is better than each individual one putting something together.  One teacher has the responsibilty of typing it all up (and she does a great job by making it really cute and keeps with a seasonal theme).

The top three pics or what some second teachers have done.  The bottom two are what first grade teachers have done at schools I've taught at.










If you'd like a hard copy of the word version of the bottom newsletter format, click here

Newsletters are always in my students 'cubbies/mailboxes' on Monday and a digital copy is emailed home.  Because, as a mom, I love them. 

I am teaching a 1st/2nd split this year, so my scope and sequence isn't quite in line with what 2nd grade is doing.  Therefore, I have to my own class newsletter rather than a grade level.  I like how everyone is following the same format with a few alterations school wide.

3 comments:

  1. I can't thank you enough for all of your free materials. You are a lifesaver :)

    Lisa

    Stories from Room 114

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to hear that this new endeavor is helping someone :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely! I'll be spreading the news about your blog.

    Lisa


    Stories from Room 114

    ReplyDelete