Thursday, March 22, 2012

Website - Spellingcity.com

I love having my students log on to http://www.spellingcity.com/ once a week.  This website's free activities have the kids doing so much with their word list that it becomes more of vocabulary practice than just a spelling review.

I log on and type in my weekly list words.  At the end of the "Play A Game" option there is a printable handwriting activity.  I'm not a huge stickler about handwriting since we are going toward digital communication in our society.  However, I insist they write neatly to be polite.  This is the only handwriting practice I have my students do in my class.  Once they are finished the handwriting practice, neatly, then they can log on to spellingcity.com in our computer lab.  My students put a lot of effort into their neatness so they can log on and not have to do it again. 
The website generates a list that can be printed off and saved as a pdf document for future use.  There are some other activities that can also be generated, printed off, and saved.  It's become part of our weekly schedule and time well spent.

1 comment:

  1. VocabularySpellingCity is great. Thanks for highlighting it. My students’ favorites games:
    Unscramble, Hangman(HangMouse), Crossword Puzzle, and WordSearch.

    Their favorite lists to play MatchIt with are the Sound-Alike Words (under the Teaching Resources)

    ReplyDelete